Friday, December 2, 2011

#16: "Happy Hunger Games! And may the odds be ever in your favor!"

As I sit here writing this blog I can't help feeling like a 7th grader with a book report due; nonetheless, I am proud to say that I can officially cross off the first thing on my 30 While 30 list...#16: Read The Huger Games by Suzanne Collins...CHECK!

I stated previously that this list was designed with the goal of improving myself, trying new things and becoming reacquainted with several fundamental principals that I was raised with.  Each task has a reason for being there and although many have asked questions like "Why is that there?", "That's so simple...I can help you with that!" & "You haven't done __X__?", the bottom line is...this is MY list.  I know why each item is there and although I know several of the tasks are easily done...it's not necessarily about just getting through the list as quickly as possible, but rather, about ensuring that I MAKE THE TIME to do each item. 

My intention in reporting back on each item is multifaceted:

1. To keep myself honest-it would be easy to write a list and keep it hidden in a diary somewhere...although it would then also be much easier to simply "forget" about it.  By putting it up here for all the world to see, I keep myself accountable.

2. To hopefully inspire others to set goals for themselves.  We all grow by trying new things and putting ourselves out there...if we don't try...we will never know.  Realistically I know that not many people will be inspired to open a gmail account...but who knows...apparently it will be the answer to my (and possibly other's) loathing of the "Reply all" button.

3. To help explain the "why", the "how" and the "what's next" of each item.

Staying true to the Science Nerd that I am, I feel that there is no better way for me to report back on my 30 While 30 adventures than the tried and true Scientific Method...so here goes:

Observation: I don't read as much as I would like to. My good friend Jess (and several others confirmed) that The Hunger Games is an excellent book.

Question: Will I like The Hunger Games?
Hypothesis: If I find books I like to read...then I will read more.
Materials: The Huger Games by Suzanne Collins
Method: Read the book (duh!!)
Results: I started the book on Tuesday November 29th at 1:30pm and read it in the waiting room of Sequoia Hospital while my mom had shoulder surgery.  I finished the book on Wednesday November 30th at 12:30pm at home.
Discussion: Prior to this past Tuesday I could not say that I had ever read a novel, cover to cover in a 24 hour period...Now I can say that I have! 

I will not bore you with the 7th grade book report synopsis but I will say that part of the intrigue of this story is living vicariously through the characters.  I know I would not be the optimal Hunger Game competitor...I don't even like camping...so being trapped in an outdoor arena subjected to the government imposed elements of nature while participating in a fight to the death with 23 other competitors is not exactly my idea of the best way to gain fame and fortune.  However, while reading, I found myself rooting for the characters. Riding their highs and enduring their lows.  I felt like I was there...in District 12....hoping that the odds will be ever in the favor of Katniss and Peeta.

Conclusion: By talking with my friends about what books they have enjoyed, I increase my chances of finding books that are appealing to me and I read more.

What's next: Since my reading bug has been sparked...I have started The Help and I can't wait for The Hunger Games movie to come out in March so that I can tackle #13: Go to a movie in a theater!

2 comments:

  1. Nice work Voshi!. Btw..you've inspired me to open up my 3rd gmail account. I've been thinking about doing it for awhile now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. yay!!!! I loved The Help, too! And, hopefully Jamie will be sending you Catching Fire and Mockingjay soon, so you can finish the Hunger Games Trilogy!!!!

    ReplyDelete