Tuesday, September 23, 2014

10% Success

I'm kicking off day 4 of the Whole 30 challenge and so far so good.  Looking at my "score" of 10% seems like there is still a long way to go...but you can't get to 100% without first getting to 10%...So with that in mind I'll take it.

Day one was tough...I didn't really prep my kitchen and pantry well...so I went out shopping in the early afternoon after only eating a fairly light brunch of 2 eggs, a few cherry tomatoes, a handful of arugula and half an avocado. I got a pretty bad headache while out shopping and just got enough supplies to get through the next day or two.  Some chicken, some veggies and some tea and coconut milk.  I came back home, drank a bunch of water and took a long nap.  I woke up feeling a bit better and started prepping food for the next few days.

Menu:

Breakfast:
Arugula, tomato, onion crustless quiche with herbal tea and coconut milk

Snacks:
Hard boiled egg, and cucumber
Nectarine and blueberries with a sprinkle of cinnamon

Lunch and Dinner:
"Taco seasoned" baked chicken
Sauteed veggies with onion and garlic
Baked Sweet potato coils with "Taco seasoning"

Day two was miles better.  One, I ate more, two, I think my body was beginning to adjust to the fact that wasn't going to get a spikes in blood sugar every time I got hungry and three, I had finally had a full night's sleep and a solid nap and was beginning to catch up on sleep. The headache really only returned when I knew I had gone too long without eating.  I was at work and very limited on my options (and I had eaten all my lunch).  I sat down and made thorough grocery list with a meal plan to get me through Saturday (I have Sunday off, so I need to make it until then) and I stopped on my way home from work and stocked up the fridge and pantry with lots of Whole 30 friendly options.

Day three additions:

Breakfast: Banana with almond butter
Lunch: Ants on a log:  Celery, almond butter and tart cherries

In Case Of Emergency snack: Banana (didn't need it, but it was nice knowing it was there in case my headache came back)

Day three:  Headaches totally gone.  I feel great.  I know the work week/harvest fatigue is setting in (it always does mid week) so it's going to be more difficult to find the energy to cook at night.  But I have tried to give myself quick cooking options that still taste good and allow me to cook a couple meals at once (ie leftovers from dinner for lunch).

Quick cook dinner:
Broiled salmon with salt and pepper
Steamed green beans (those french ones that I can't spell) with almonds and lemon
Sauteed zucchini with onions and garlic
Diced tomato and avocado with salt and pepper






No comments:

Post a Comment